Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Teach for America Update

Today I received an email from Teach for America. 

No, it wasn't all trumpets and fanfare and "oh, me! oh, my! we would just be SO lucky to have you."

It was more like, "meh, we'll take you if we have to."

Yup, I got waitlisted. It's not the end of the world by any means. I take rejection well because, well, I've been rejected a lot in my life. Doing theater growing up will teach you how to take rejection, but not take it personally.

I can only think back on the interview so much - rehashing everything I did right or did wrong. Frankly, I don't care. I know I am a fast learner and anything I did wrong I can correct if someone just told me about it. I know I have the passion and the drive necessary to be an agent of social change and honestly, I'm not sure if TFA is the best way for me to do that. Of course, I don't know exactly what career or job is the best way for me to be able to do that, but I'm sure things will fall into place if I do the work.

Of course, none of this is to say that I'm not disappointed. I am! I think I could be an excellent teacher who truly inspires children to be their very best selves. But maybe it's not meant to be this time around. I know there won't be another application round in my future for Teach for America, but there will be something.

No comments:

Post a Comment