Sunday, May 27, 2012

Weekend Wanderer: Sespe Wilderness in Los Padres National Forest, part 2

This is a continuation of the story of my first-ever backpacking trip, where Trailer Park Boy and I hiked into the Sespe Wilderness in the Los Padres National Forest, attempting to reach Willett and Sespe hot springs via the Piedra Blanca Trail.

We spent the first hour of the morning packing up, eating our granola bars and referencing our map.


Once completed, we set off.

In the wrong direction.

And it made all the difference.


Somehow, we missed the trail, crossed the river and ended up in a valley of boulders. After hiking downstream for about 10 minutes, along what most certainly was NOT the trail, we crossed the river again to try and find our way. Hopping along boulders, we looked for the trail until I hopped off a boulder and sprained my ankle! I spent a couple of minutes breathing like I was in lamaze class (no tears!), hopped up and said "I'm ready to go!" I stood up, looked in the direction we were climbing, and there, quite clearly, was the trail. Right in front of me. Directly post-disaster. Just imagine how pissed I was. I climbed up there and stuck my foot in the creek immediately to ice it.

TPB comes up and sits on a rock. "We have three options," he tells me. "Option A: Hike back. Option B: Stay here, keep your foot in the creek, and camp here tonight. Option C: Keep going." 

I knew immediately that I couldn't keep going. But I definitely didn't want to cut our weekend short. So I chose option B. TPB told me later that this was a test, that he wanted me to choose option B. Looks like I passed. 

We ended up just hanging out in that general area, setting up camp, and chillaxing. We got to swim in the creek, take a nap, build an epic fire, and just have fun--all my favorites!

Although I had to hike back 5-6 miles on a sprained ankle, TPB wrapped it with duct tape and I survived. It wasn't so bad and now I can limp to my heart's content. LOL

Check in next weekend for a random assortment of photos from the adventure and more!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment