Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Weekend Wanderer: Time to quit slacking...

Today consisted of a major photo-dump and studying for the GRE, which means that you lucky people will FINALLY get to hear all about my trip to North Carolina and my cruise to Alaska! I know you've been pining for these posts, so I am pleased to finally deliver.

So, Part I of this journey commenced on the last Friday of May when I climbed aboard the Coast Starlight, a train that runs from Los Angeles to Seattle, with my family.



It was interesting to see how the scenery changes as you progress further north. We started out our trip in a drizzly, overcast Los Angeles, that quickly cleared up once we left behind the quaint beach towns. 


San Luis Obispo jail
Once we made our way into Northern California, the landscape changed from desert hillsides to lush, wet landscapes. I didn't get any pics of Northern California because we passed through at night, but when I woke up, I was greeted by the sights of Southern Oregon. 


By far my favorite was the mid-Oregon region, where the train tracks ran through dense forests covered in a blanket of fog. 


The fog was so thick, you could hardly see trees more than ten feet away.

Of course, being trapped on a train means that the scenery is about the most interesting thing around. There's no television, no xbox for my little brother, no internet, nothing. That's enough to drive some people crazy. But not my family. We filled up our time playing Gin (and learning that we were scoring all of our games incorrectly), and the train's meager excuse for a meal in the dining car.


All in all, it was a nice, relaxing way to get to Seattle and start our cruise! Next post will be all about wandering around Seattle!




Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment