Saturday, August 25, 2012

Final Days

Today is my last day in California before I go to Korea and I don't know if I will ever live here again. It's strange to think of this as the end of an era in my life. Is that melodramatic? It sounded melodramatic when I re-read it, but I'm okay with that.

During my final days here, I've eaten at all of my favorite restaurants: Ramen Jinya, Frosty Queen, SouPlantation (CA's version of Sweet Tomatoes), and Mighty Mouth. This was important to me. You know why.
I've experienced three last days of work (one for each of my schools) and celebrated the end with my VISTA pals and each ending was...different, to be sure, and that final impression will undoubtedly dictate with whom I maintain contact. I discovered rare truths in those final moments.
I realized I've only started figuring out who my friends are and who isn't worth my time.
I am proud of myself and my accomplishments, regardless of what those accomplishments mean to others. I also look at it as an accomplishment of mine that I don't need affirmation of those accomplishments from others. Although it's still nice.

I suppose one of my conclusions drawn from this year is that although I've met people of value and character here, I've met far more people who are superficial, unhappy, or suffering from entitlement. I've learned how to be unfailingly, unwaveringly, unapologetically me, through and through. I've learned that Los Angeles might be for dreamers, but people with their feet planted firmly on the ground can go further and faster than those with their heads in the clouds.

Psych Girl mailed me the most wonderful birthday present, a necklace with a globe pendant on it filled with dandelion seeds because this year was about sowing seeds. I talked about this with KFC and we both agreed that 22 was a time of sowing seeds and 23 would be a time of reaping those rewards. I'm excited about leaving Los Angeles, because that means I will be moving on to the next wonderful chapter of my life. I enthusiastically anticipate all there is to come and cherish all that has come to pass. LA, you will always have a place in my heart.

This might be the end of an era, but it's the beginning of something beautiful.


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment