Saturday, December 31, 2011

Crafty Christmas: Moroccan Lanterns

Okay, so it wasn't my idea. But it's still a rockin', thoughtful Christmas present to give to one of my best friends.

What a terrible picture!

It all started with my craaaaazy idea to make my gifts this year hyper-creative. I loved those lanterns the second I saw them and knew they would make an excellent gift idea.

Step 1: Eat as much spaghetti as possible to generate all kinds of (clean) glass jars. The more different sizes you find, the better.

Step 2: Take your handy gold dimensional paint/furniture varnish/other shiny stuff and freehand this awesomeness after obsessively looking at pictures of real lanterns.

Optional Step 2.5: Get hand cramps.

Step 3: Throw some glass paint in the bottom and cover all visible clear glass. Or, if your local Mike's doesn't have glass paint like mine, use acrylic and thinly spread the paint.

Here is the point where I up-upcycled the tutorial and melded it with another tutorial I can't find right now.

Step 4: Cut taper candles slightly shorter than the mason jar. Melt the bottom of the taper and stick it to the bottom of the now dry jar. Dryness is key here, people. Otherwise the candle will unstick itself over and over and over and you'll have to peel the paint off and start all over again. I used the other half of my taper to do this ... until it disappeared.

Step 5: Wrap twine around the top of the jar. Secure it by tying and/or modge-podging it. Keep the top loop long so that it will not be burned by the candle.

Include a hook (for hanging) in the wrapping, box up beautifully, and voila!

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment