Friday, April 13, 2012

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Unlike "traditional" families, my dad is the cook at our house. He makes delicious roast/mashed potatoes/gravy, some to-die-for shepherd's pie and beef stroganoff, and one of my very favorites, bomb chicken tortilla soup.

His meals generally cook for an exorbitantly long time, giving the flavors long enough to "mature," and he rarely follows any real recipe, following his tastebuds instead. Since I'm not patient and have no sixth sense about these kinds of things, I can't make his food as good as he makes his food. But I can sure try!

Here's the recipe:



A chicken breast for each person eating the meal, grilled
6 cups chicken broth
Some (?) oil of some (?) sort - I used olive oil, but anything will do
Tortilla chips (which I FORGOT, can you believe it?)
1 large onion
3 minced cloves of garlic
Celery
1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles
line wedges
chopped cilantro
Queso Fresco
1 avocado
Dr. Pepper (optional)

This is where my dad's recipe ends, but I decided to make mine a little ... meatier? I added frozen corn and some water. I also added a bit cumin, chili powder, a pinch of cayenne, and some salt and pepper.

First saute the garlic, onions and celery with the chicken in strips.

Throw into large pot. Put the tomatoes and broth in the pot. Simmer for a looooong time.

Cut up other ingredients and put in bowls for people to add as desired!

I didn't get a picture of it when it was done because, well, I gobbled.

No comments:

Post a Comment