Saturday, April 14, 2012

Weekend Wanderer: Chatsworth VFW

I know some people who really need a separation between their work and their personal lives, but personally, I like making friends with my coworkers. I like being able to hang out with them after work because it makes us into a more cohesive group and helps us work better together. And there is no better place than the Chatsworth VFW to do that.

Okay, okay, okay - so the Chatsworth VFW isn't so far a wander away from work. It's insanely close, actually. But it must be the best kept secret in all of Granada Hills because it's almost always empty.

I guess I should explain: I have very fond memories of sitting at the bar of the VFW with my grandfather, sipping on as many Shirley Temples as my belly could handle, surrounded by friends, friends everywhere. When I come to the Chatsworth VFW, I return to those good times.

It helps that everyone who works there or who comes there often can zero in on an outsider and everyone in the bar reaches out to them, welcomes them, makes them feel at home. It's nice not feeling like a piece of meat. It's nice being able to chill out on their awesome patio. It's nice to indulge in cheap drinks around the fire and talk to the old guys and make new friends. It's unexpected, and that's the way I like it.

Have you discovered any hidden gems in your backyard?

No comments:

Post a Comment