Monday, May 7, 2012

Media Monday: Coachella, Day 2

Saturday of Coachella was full of surprises. I checked out a lot of bands I hadn't heard before and I was pleasantly surprised!

  • Tijuana Panthers ★ ★ ★ -- Mediocre music that was danceable, as shown by the video. 
  • Kiss Kiss Bang Bang ★ ★ -- The music was okay, but the lead singer really needs to tone down that sexy female lead singer thing. It was a little too Gwen Stefani meets Fergie for me, which really didn't jive with their music style. Also, I am mostly against bands that have a lead singer who doesn't actually play any instruments.
  • Keep Shelly in Athens ★ ★ ★ -- I enjoyed the music a lot, but felt the show was only somewhat happenin'. 
  • Spector ★ ★ ★ ★ -- I had never heard of Spector before the fest, but I know I will be checking them out now. Their music was good (not great), but the lead guitarist had such charisma and stage presence and put the whole crowd in a good mood. Concerts are about performance quality and these guys definitely had it.
  • Mt Eden ★ ★ -- Another EDM band that I got conned into seeing. Eh. The lead singer was okay, but I really couldn't hear him through the DJs.
  • tUnE-yArDs ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ -- I was blown away. I had never listened to the them before, but I will be now. They combined tribal beats and crazy vocal harmonies along with insane sax riffs. Jaw-droppingly new sound.
  • Kaiser Chiefs ★ ★ ★ ★ -- What a great concert! The lead singer crowd surfed the massive crowd in attendance and then had to jog through the crowd to get back to the stage.
  • Andrew Bird ★ ★ ★ ★ -- St. Vincent did a guest appearance, which was fabulous. I also realized I should have been listening to Andrew Bird forever ago--a theme of the day.
  • Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds ★ ★ ★ ★ -- The brother or the cousin or someone related to a member of Oasis plays in this band. Lots of people were bad-mouthing them before I went to the show, but the reason I gave them four stars is because I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked them. 
  • The Shins ★ ★ ★ ★ -- Ohmygoodness, The Shins rocked it on Saturday night. I have loved The Shins for a long time, but my love for them was renewed at this show.
  • Bon Iver ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ -- I take back any qualms I ever had with Bon Iver after viewing his set. Sure, plenty of people were asleep in the grass afterward. Sure, it was a mellow show. But 1) that is Bon Iver's schtick and 2) it was heavenly. The stage set-up was gorgeous--green glass sconces 
  • Radiohead ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ -- 'Nuff said.

No comments:

Post a Comment