Sunday, May 6, 2012

Weekend Wanderer: The House of Blues, Steel Panther

Have you ever heard about Steel Panther? Well, when K-Town's son (nickname forthcoming) asked me this question and I responded in the negatory, he acted as though I'd been living under a rock. Well, ladies and gents, you're looking at an under-rock-no-longer gal because I underwent a (rather jarring) Steel Panther education.

Apparently, Steel Panther (remember, that's singular) plays at the House of Blues on the Sunset Strip every Monday night. Having seen neither, I had a lot of exploring to do. Unfortunately, I only got one picture:


House of Blues Los Angeles opened in 1994 and is located in the heart of West Hollywood. This location is home to unique pieces of art and architecture, such as work by Alan Sainte James Boudrot and our Jake and Elwood movable bars. The Los Angeles venue is covered in tin from a gin mill that was just 500 feet away from the Delta crossroads — the mystical field where Robert Johnson created his famous partnership with the Devil for his soul. Notable acts that have played House of Blues Los Angeles include the last live performance by Tupac Shakur and Prince with Maceo Parker. In keeping with tradition, the House of Blues Los Angeles displays the "Crazy Quilt" and keeps a metal box of mud from the Delta Mississippi underneath its stage.
The architecture was really cool. The entire ceiling is made up of recessed, silhouetted, shadow box-type displays of various artists. I kept walking around, trying to take it all in, with my head turned to the ceiling, bumping into people and railings and such.

The venue was great and all, don't get me wrong, but the real star of the show (literally) was Steel Panther. If, like me, you haven't heard of them, they are an 80s hair band ... that formed 3-4 years ago. They're like the Harlem Globetrotters of 80s hair bands. They are a couple 30-40 something dudes, each playing a distinct character and rocking out with well-played satiric music. I had a blast!

If you're ever in Los Angeles on a Monday night, pop by the House of Blues, fork over the 15 bucks and enjoy yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment