Saturday, May 5, 2012

Weekend Wanderer: O'Melveny Park

O'Melveny Park, the second largest park in Los Angeles, is within walking distance of my porch, which means I now have a new haunt. A couple weeks ago, I went hiking with the pooch to discover new-to-me terra and took a few pics along the way.


I'm not sure of the name of the trail I chose to hike, but it proffered spectacular views of the Valley and was a great (almost too great) workout. After reaching the first plateau, the hike is entirely uphill, slanted dangerously steep. Walking up, Darcy got tuckered out, so she got a free ride up the mountain in my Camelpak. So spoiled!


Hiking O'Melveny was a reminder of what developers do to nature - they sequester it into confined spaces to make it more comfortable, digestible, to the average human and in so doing, bastardize everything nature is intended to be. It's not meant to be comfortable, divided up into neat little rows and sold off to the highest bidder. O'Melveny is the safe haven for all the animals driven from their habitat, and even for us humans, driven from ours.


1 comment:

  1. I hate how confined nature and "the wild" is. I also hate idiots that keep tigers in their apartment in new York, and insist that the tigers love staying confined in there with no way to go outside. Ya, let me keep you in some small area like that and never let you breathe outside air- gonna like that buddy??

    ReplyDelete