Monday, May 14, 2012

Media Monday: Coachella, Day 3

Sunday was the day I was most looking forward to from the very beginning of the weekend.

  • Fanfarlo ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ -- I am a huge fan of Fanfarlo and was so surprised when they were playing at noon on Sunday. I've been listening to them for at least a year now and had figured that everyone and their mother was a fan, but was glad to find out this was not the case. It meant the venue was relatively empty and I could enjoy their show as it is meant to be seen.
  • Oberhofer ★ -- I really didn't like this show, hence the single-star rating. The lead guitarist continually would ask the audience a random question, such as "Do any of you have pets?" and then would proceed to begin playing a song that had nothing to do with his question.
  • First Aid Kit ★ ★ ★ ★ -- What a folksy duo! I felt bad for these ladies because they were unable to play several of their songs because of technical issues.
  • Wild Beasts ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ -- What a fabulous show! The energy! The tunes! They put on a great live show. I also suggest checking out their other acoustic sets on youtube. You will die.
  • Santigold ★ ★ -- I really can't figure out what all the hype is about.
  • The Growlers ★ ★ ★ ★ -- These guys were off-the-wall weird and I liked it! You can't see in the video because it's from the first Coachella weekend, but the lead singer wore a flower power house dress for the entire set. They had some funky tunes I could get on board with and definitely had some...spunk.
  • Fitz and the Tantrums ★ ★ ★ ★ -- I can only compare them to the Temptations. Although they really aren't all that alike, Fitz and the Tantrums hearkens back to those simpler times, but this time, with a white male/black female duo. They had tons of energy and I really enjoyed their style.
  • Wild Flag ★ ★ ★ -- This all girl band had me thinking of Derby girls, rock and roll and girl power. I am pretty sure one of the guitarists is the lead girl from Portlandia, but I could be wrong. Who knows? 
  • The Hives ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ -- I haven't listened to The Hives since high school, but I am going to start again. I seriously didn't realize I was such a Hives fan until I saw them perform live. The three piece tuxedos and top hats were hilarious and they had such attitude! I love the way the lead singer shimmies, too. Such a hoot!
  • Gotye ★ -- I know I am probably going to get booed off the internet for this, but I really didn't like their set. It was clear that all the concert-goers were only there to see "Somebody I Used to Know" because there was a mass exodus after the song, even though the set wasn't over! Of course, the Coachella-goers were generally extraordinarily rude, but their entire set was boring and unimpressive. I discussed this matter with several people in attendance who blamed it on their mellow vibe, but Bon Iver is definitely mellow and was not boring whatsoever.
  • Beirut ★ ★ ★ ★ -- I have never listened to Beirut seriously before, but I'm going to start. I really only went to their concert because everyone told me I just absolutely had to see them. And boy oh boy am I glad I did. I loved the accordion, the trumpets, the trombones!
  • Florence and the Machine ★ ★ ★ ★ -- Effing AMAZING. If you haven't listened to her new album, stop whatever you're doing and listen to it.
This ends my Coachella series. I hope you enjoyed the virtual experience!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment