Sunday, July 29, 2012

Weekend Wanderer: Glaciers

Mendenhall Glacier
As it turns out, glaciers are just like, gigantic blocks of frozen ice stuck in a mountain range. They don't move, rarely calve (break apart and fall into the water, making big, booming noises)--they don't really do anything at all. They just sort of sit there, looking icy blue, so light-colored that they blend in with the sky in all my photos. I must say, glaciers are kind of like the biggest disappointments ever. I don't know why I thought they would be cooler, but they're rather lame.

Don't get me wrong--they did "shape" the landscape of Alaska significantly. But I didn't get to see that happening. No one can. It's just too slow of a process. So while I can now say that I've seen a glacier, my next ice-adventure will surely have to be one of those Finlandic ice-breaking cruises.


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment