Friday, April 5, 2013

The North Korea Situation

Okay. It's been so ridiculously long since I updated and the longer it's been, the harder it is to start again. But a rainy day seems to be just the excuse to do some updating. And boy is there a lot to update on! I'm going to break it up into a few posts so that you really get some tender lovin' over the next few days to make up for my atrociousness.

The North Korea Situation

I know that many of my family and friends are concerned about this issue. In fact, you're much more concerned than the average Korean citizen if you've worried even a little about it.  Not trying to be flippant, but it's true!

Honestly, the situation has not affected my daily life at all. Well, that's not entirely true. There have been some changes. Like the price of food sky-rocketing ($7 for 5 apples or six potatoes--highway robbery, I'm tellin' ya!) and the devaluing of the Korean won. It's good news for visitors who will get a radical exchange rate, but bad news for those of us planning to exchange our money later on. Hopefully, by the time I'm leaving, this madness will have all blown over and I'll be back to making beaucoup bucks.

Every day, the news reports seem to get worse and worse. It's difficult to tell how much of it is sensationalist media and how much is informative and reliable. I've been taking it all serious-as-a-heart-attack and am in the process of preparing a 72-hour kit complete with emergency supplies and whatnot if the situation arises and I need to get out quick. A Canadian coworker checked in with their embassy and was told to proceed to the American checkpoints and was assured that all Canadians would be evacuated after the Americans. So I'm safer than the Canadians, at least.

Well, that's the most up-to-date news from my war-torn country *lament* and I'll make sure I check in here more often so you can all stay apprised.


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment