Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Wongjongim Woes

Ack! I start grad school on Monday! That's both an excited "ack!" and a nervous one. I'm determined to be disciplined enough to keep up with the work and do well and still sleep often enough and enjoy Korea. I'll be going last-hurrah camping on an island about an hour outside of Seoul this weekend, so I'm definitely looking forward to that. 

Unfortunately, I've been crazy-stressed by boss issues lately. Last weekend, my gas got shut off ALL WEEKEND, despite promises by my boss that she would call first thing on Saturday to take care of it. Surprise of all surprises--she didn't. This meant no showers and no cooking at home. You know, basically all I do at home. Might as well take away my bed while you're at it. 

This, in and of itself, would not have been a big deal. It would have sucked, but I could deal with it. It was my boss' insistence that this was entirely my fault that ticked me off. First, I've had a sneaking suspicion for months that they aren't paying my bills each month and are charging me monthly for my bills + the overages anyway. Second, I refused to believe that they shut off gas after a payment being, at most, 15 days late. Lastly, I never received any other bills in my mailbox, so how could I have failed to give my boss a nonexistent bill? 

Of course, there is quite literally nothing I can do about this as I'm a foreigner and basically have no rights. This is just what happens when you happen to be employed by a scummy person with scummy values and no soul. This situation also comes on the heels of my coworker's legal battle to get paid, something they've been denying him for three months by trying to change the hagwon's name and franchise association (without telling us peons, you know, the people who actually teach classes). This means my boss will most likely try to reneg on my end-of-contract bonus/flight home/etc., but I don't plan on rolling over and just taking it. 

See, this is what happens when you work at a CRAPPY hagwon. I can't wait to move onward and upward and work in a place that isn't constantly trying to swindle their employees. If it weren't for my boss, I literally love EVERYTHING about my life here--where I'm living, my students, Korea. So that's good, I guess?

Anyway, that rambly mess is what I'm up to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment