Wednesday, August 14, 2013

The Process of Turning 24: Part 4

On the actual day of my birthday, I could not have asked for it to go better. For the first time ever, I was at school on my birthday! Call me weird, but I always wanted that growing up. Everybody would get to feel special with the maximum number of people around and even their enemies had to be relatively kind. Because of my excitement, I talked about my birthday for weeks before it was really my birthday. When I gave my students a test, I gave them extra credit questions related directly to my birthday, when it was and how old I would be. I really milked the thing this year.

Anyway, I could not have been more surprised by the outpouring of generosity on behalf of my students. The day before my birthday, one student in my PK1 class, Tom, brought me a giant chocolate cake. We wasted probably 20 minutes of class laughing and eating together. It was so much fun and so incredibly sweet.

When I told my IE2C class, the girls took the last five minutes of class to make me a card from one of the pages in their textbooks and another one gave me a back rub. She said "This is good because I am strong." It was SO cute.

On the day of my birthday, my kindergarten students brought not one, but TWO cakes. In fact, I had to trash some of the second cake because I was SO SICK OF CAKE by then. They also wrote these stinkin' adorable cards that you would just not believe the cuteness of.

Finally, in my PK4b, one of my students gave me a whole box of chocolate cookies.

I am still blown away by their kindness.

And then, of course, none of my Korean superiors even bothered to notice. Ha! I just have to laugh because it's so typical. Whatever.

After work, the boyf came over and took me to dinner. Sushi! It was real sushi too! Actually edible. And he revealed his surprise present to me--a massage! My first ever!

Wow, I was really spoiled this year. I couldn't have asked for more, except maybe to share it with my family and friends back home!

No comments:

Post a Comment