Saturday, November 30, 2013

Post-Nano Hangover




Winner!

I won! Winning NaNoWriMo (short for National Novel Writing Month) isn't like normal "winning," it just means that you crossed the finish line of 50,000 words. And I did it! Barely. I "finished" my novel at 50,038 words. This is a big deal for me, someone who has always wanted to write a book but never could stick with it. I learned a lot about the contest, myself, and writing in general in that time and I am grateful for those lessons. Now that I know that I can do it, I am going to keep doing it. It feels so good to set and meet those goals!

When I first heard about NaNo, I was skeptical. I felt like there was a huge emphasis on the number of words, and not the quality. And sure, that is definitely emphasized. However, I think it depends on the person. Obviously, what I wrote was not excellent, by any means, but I think it has the potential to be. It certainly has more potential than an empty page.

So maybe next year, you should do it with me! Because I know I will certainly be there, slogging through to the very end. Join me!

No comments:

Post a Comment