Friday, August 26, 2011

Thoughts on becoming a VISTA

There is this horribly idealistic portion of my soul that feeds off of service to others. I am my happiest when I am positively impacting another person's life, and that happiness multiplies a thousand-fold when I am using my natural talents and abilities to make that impact.

It's important to know this so that you know why I took this oath today:

"I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservations or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office which I am about to enter."

Hearing the multitude of voices surround me assured me that I wasn't alone. I felt like I was being swept up in the swell of their voices, lifted away from pessimistic attitudes and self-doubt. I think I just became a VISTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment