Thursday, March 22, 2012

Weekend Wanderer: San Diego

I live my real life on the weekends. I wish it weren't so; I wish I was working the kind of job that I was consumed by, where on the off-chance that I wasn't at work, I wished I was or thought about being there. That might sound strange, but if I am completely consumed by whatever I am doing, my whole heart and soul is in it, and that is a really fulfilling experience. Instead of being 100% fulfilled by my job, I live my life on my off-days, spare hours leftover at the end of the day like loose pocket change.

On my last pocket change adventure, I drove down to San Diego to visit my Big Bro, who was in town for a medical conference, with my sister-in-law and niece in tow.

The day began quiet and slow with a two-hour drive down to San Diego along a route I've never taken before. I was amazed by the tiny beach communities along the way, how quaint and utterly without pretension as they were. I suppose I am used to Los Angeles now, to the point where I expect gigantic beach houses and private beaches and movie stars hoarding all the good spots and am apparently surprised by beaches accessible to the common man. No, not just the common man - some of the coast was occupied by farms. Do you know how long it has been since I have seen a FARM?!

The lovely beach towns gave way to rolling green hills, dotted with patches of wildflowers that color the landscape a vibrant shade of purple.

This doesn't quite capture the colors of the wildflowers, but it was the only time I came to a standstill long enough to catch them on camera.


We met in downtown San Diego in Big Bro's sweet company digs where I saw my niece for the first time in three months. 

Blurry baby

Now, three months may not seem like a big deal, but when you've only been alive for six months, that's 50% of your life, half of your growing and knowledge of the world!

To expand this baby's knowledge of the world, we went to SeaWorld!


Actually, that's not true - we went because my SIL wanted to, and baby girl was just along for the ride. 

We saw Shamu.

And seals.


You'd think we would have been exhausted by the end of the day....


 ...but we weren't!

No comments:

Post a Comment